SAFETY FIRST – PLEASE READ
Welcome to the world of wearable resistance and the beginning of your safe EXOGEN® Experience!
At LILA, your safety and great EXOGEN® experience are a priority. EXOGEN® was developed with your safety in mind. Exercise, sport and training have inherent risks. Therefore, prior to starting or restarting an exercise or training program, we recommend reading and completing the PAR-Q questionnaire below and following up accordingly with your medical specialist as instructed.
(Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire)
|1||Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only perform physical activity recommended by a doctor?|
|2||Do you feel pain in your chest when you perform physical activity?|
|3||In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not performing any physical activity?|
|4||Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?|
|5||Do you have a bone or joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?|
|6||Is your doctor currently prescribing any medication for your blood pressure or for a heart condition?|
|7||Do you know of any other reason why you should not engage in physical activity?|
|If you have answered “Yes” to one or more of the above questions, consult your physician before engaging in physical activity. Tell your physician which questions you answered “Yes” to. After a medical evaluation, seek advice from your physician on what type of activity is suitable for your current condition.|
What are included in your EXOGEN® kit
1. Your selected EXOGEN® EXOSKELETON shell: Wearable Resistance Sleeveless Top, Shorts, Calf Sleeves, Forearm Sleeves, Upper Arm Sleeves or Full Arm Sleeves
2. Fusiform loads to start with your Light Variable Resistance Training
The number of loads are sufficient to begin Light Variable Resistance Training (LVRT) and are based on total body loading with ~10% body weight. Research indicates this may be a threshold for movement-specific resistance training. Each body part accommodates a certain amount of that total. Individual requirements for loading may vary based on sport, fitness level, training history and personal preference.
3. User Guide
4. Roll-up case for the Fusiform loads
Please read carefully to fully benefit from your exoskeleton movement experience.
COOLMAX® Mesh : Located at major sweat zones
Teardrop Tabs : provide a visual marker for tightening the straps so you can see the balance between the left and right straps to set your desired tension easily
Lumbar-Postural Straps : provide functional lumbar support during training or competition, loaded or unloaded
Gluteal-Waist Strap : provide support for the hips and gluteal muscles both while loaded and unloaded
Left / Right Straps : straps designed to attach outside to inside
Spine : The sleeve backbone worn to the rear of the limb
Hand / Foot openings : allow easy on-and-off for the FOREARM and CALF sleeves
Distal end (wide part of the load)
Proximal end (narrow end of the load)
Rear hook attachment
Load weight in grams (printed at the back)
How to wear your EXOGEN®
EXOGEN® is designed for a specific fit ensuring adequate anti-slip and comfort especially when LOADED. EXOGEN® wear takes getting used to especially when putting on and taking off. The material will naturally stretch over time and EXOGEN®, like a true exoskeleton, will conform and mould to your body the more you use it. Be patient, choose the right size.
Limb Sleeves (Calf, Forearm, Upper Arm and Full Arm)
EXOGEN® sleeves are designed to fit left and right as indicated on their care labels. The straps should be closed from the outside to inside (laterally to medially) with the SPINE aligned along the posterior anatomical line of the limb. Remove any jewellery that may impede putting them on.
- Open all straps fold-in Velcro tabs out of the way so they will not catch.
- Slide the sleeve over the hand / foot, straps to the outside and the spine aligned to the rear.
- For the UA/FA it’s like putting your hand in your pocket, and for the Calf like pulling on a sock.
- Pull the sleeve up to its optimal anatomical position:
- UpperArm-up to the shoulder and off the elbow joint
- ForeArm- just below but not covering the elbow
- Calf – over the wide part of the calf just below but off the knee
- Once in place lock-in the EXOGEN® straps comfortably to the desired tension.
The Sleeveless Top slides on like an athletic top. First open the postural support straps prior to putting on and ‘turn-in’ the Velcro tabs to the rear to ensure they do not catch. Once on lightly ‘lock-in’ the postural wings to a comfortable position without tension for your first use.
If you feel the need for extra cooling or to release tension simply open the postural straps to immediate expose the rear air-vents. The straps can be left free or rolled out of the way to the rear. After serious effort this feels fantastic.
The EXOGEN® SHORTS pull straight on like tights. Open the waist straps and turn-in the velcro tabs so they do not catch. Once on, adjust and lock-in the straps as desired.
What is LVRT™?
LVRT™ or Light Variable Resistance Training™ is LILA’s trademark training system for which EXOGEN® was designed. LVRT™ is a training methodology that conforms to the laws of training and emphasizes 100% user-defined resistance training with significantly less load than traditional weight training. The main principles of LVRT™ include:
- Applied loads are generally measured and progressed in grams and not kilograms
- Total loading generally does not exceed ~ 10% of body weight
- Movement speeds are maintained within ~10% of competition speed
- There must be minimal disruption to the athlete’s skill-based ROM
- There is less emphasis on traditional sets and reps and greater focus on extended resistance training periods mimicking real competition metabolic demands
- Hands and feet should remain free with the body untethered to any anchor points
- Must maintain body-mind connection with minimal disruption to focus
LVRT™ does not replace other forms of resistance training but seeks to enhance them providing the most effective and efficient method to apply meaningful resistance to human movement.
LVRT™ and the Laws of Training
Each person is different. During LVRT™ you must experiment with the LOAD volume and orientation to find what works best for you and your sport.
LVRT™ Rule #1: If it feels wrong, reload.
User-defined movement means you are in control so let your proprioception, awareness and instinct guide you. If you feel the overall loading is too heavy or uncomfortable then simply reduce the load and/or re-adjust the orientation. Experimentation is highly recommended.
All adaptations are specific to the stimulus imposed. In general, this means if you train heavy you get stronger, if your train fast you get more speed, if you train long you build stamina.
LVRT™ Rule#2: Reduce the LOAD not the speed.
The real advantage of EXOGEN® and LVRT™ is the ability to provide specific, progressive resistance to maximal / actual sport speed activities. While there is some debate on the topic, reducing the speed of a desired movement teaches that movement to be slow and is contradictory to speed enhancement.
Once you can comfortably use the lighter load at the desired speed then progress to a higher load. With increments of 50-200grams you will have ample opportunity for this. In some cases, progressions may come daily in a new program. Quickly you will realize why LVRT loading is measured in grams not kilograms. When it comes to optimal speed training – less is more.In general, you need to train at or near your desired speed to improve at that speed. If you feel the selected load is slowing the desired speed of motion down by more than 10-20% reduce the load, not the speed.
3. PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD
The process of increasing (and decreasing) load over time to allow for greater adaption and improvement.
LVRT™ Rule #3: Progress in gradually in grams not kilograms
The need to progressively load more weight in order to provide enough stimuli to improve has been clearly established. The question today is how much is enough?
LVRT™ keeps optimal speed and range of motion as the central focus and primary goal of high-quality, high performance movement training. Your progressive loading should follow suit.
Please see our progressive loading chart to help you begin training with EXOGEN® for your sport. Please note that these are guidelines only to get you started. be sure to follow all the general safety and overtraining guidelines when training with exogen or performing any exercise.
Injury and overtraining are a risk no matter what form of exercise you do. The best way to avoid injury and overtraining remains the same.
LVRT™ Rule#4: Listen to your body
When training with EXOGEN® remember – light LOAD is still resistance training.
A light load moving at high speed can place even greater stress on the body, especially the joints, than a heavy load moving at slow speed. Any golfer, baseball or tennis athlete can attest to this. To avoid over-reaching and over-training be sure to;
- Be medically ready and physically fit to begin resistance training
- Properly warm-up cooldown for your activity
- Progress your intensity gradually over time
- Follow all exogen training guidelines
- Listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. If something hurts, stop.
If it continues to hurt, get it checked by a medical professional – use good judgement.
- schedule your recovery (periodization is key)
How to use EXOGEN® with Fusiform Loads
LOADING is the process of adding resistance via our FUSIFORM LOADS™ to your exoskeleton. To load safely with the greatest benefits, please read and follow all our LOADING GUIDELINES.
GENERAL LOADING GUIDELINES
- Before LOADING please read the full USER GUIDE. A printed copy comes with every purchase or you can download it HERE
- LOAD weights are approximate with the following ranges:
- 50 grams (+/- 5 grams)
- 100 gram (+/-10 grams)
- 200 grams (+/- 20 grams)
- LOADS can be placed anywhere in any orientation where the velcro backing can be fully attached to the EXOPRENE™ plush material. Be sure the entire VELCRO backing of the LOAD is fully attached by firmly pressing down all parts.
- LOADS can be attached to your exoskeleton either before or after you put it on.
- Any LOAD can be used with any EXOGEN® piece. However, we recommend:
- 100 & 200 gram LOADS for the TOP, SHORTS & CALF sleeves
- 50 & 100 gram LOADS for ARM sleeves
- Avoid placing LOADs directly over your joints as this may restrict movement.
- To UNLOAD, simply grip the lip of the narrow end and peel it back off the EXOGEN®.
- EXOGEN® can be used during any activity, training or competition (depending on laws for your sport) including outdoor and water environments (please read WATER LOADING GUIDELINES).
- To reduce movement and slipping of EXOGEN® when LOADED, especially at high speeds, secure the EXOGEN® straps at optimal high tension prior to loading.
- If EXOGEN® does slip or move excessively during training either tighten your straps or reduce the LOAD.
SAFE LOADING GUIDELINES
- Always use good judgement when exercising with or without resistance.
- If you are beginning a new exercise program, are over 40 or have been in-active for an extended time we recommend you get medical clearance before starting
- Loading with EXOGEN® is safe and our LOADS have been designed and tested to stay in place during activity even during fast movements and light contact situations.
- However, there is always a possibility that a LOAD may dislodge or detach especially at higher speeds or in contact situations causing damage or injury to yourself or others nearby. To reduce the potential risk of damage or injury that could result from a LOAD dislodging please ensure:
- You read and follow all GENERAL and SAFE LOADING GUIDELINES.
- You use extra-caution and test and progress LOADING from slow to faster speeds especially during the following high-risk activities;
- Punching, kicking or striking against pads, bags, dummies, with or without
- Stroking and swinging with an implement like a racquet, club, bat or stick.
- Throwing, passing or kicking a ball or other projectile
- Any explosive movements (sprints, jumps, agility, gymnastics) that result in rapid change of direction causing quick acceleration and deceleration of the limb and LOAD.
- Any of the above activities in close proximity to others. Be sure those nearby know you are LOADED.
- LOADING will also increase collision force during potential contact activities such as martial arts, combat sports, team, field or court sports. To reduce the risk of injury to yourself and others please ensure;
- Those around you are aware you are wearing LOADED EXOGEN®.
- You test first with light loading at slow and controlled speeds
- Everyone involved is wearing the appropriate protective gear
WATER LOADING GUIDELINES
- EXOGEN® is designed and fully compatible for water use and with precaution is safe for water-based sports and activities.
- During all water-based activities there is an inherent risk of injury or death due to drowning. This includes swimming, surfing, diving, paddling, kayaking, water-skiing, wake/knee boarding, sailing, jet-skiing, or similar). Therefore:
- With LOADED EXOGEN® you are adding weight to your body and this will reduce your buoyancy in any water environment.
- We recommend you do not use LOADED EXOGEN® in a water environment such as a pool, lake, river, ocean or other if you are;
- Not a competent swimmer
- Not wearing approved life preserving, safety floatation devices as required for your age, level or activity.
- Alone with no qualified supervision immediately nearby.
HOW TO CARRY OR TRANSPORT YOUR EXOGEN® AND LOADS
- Use your mesh bag and roll-up to carry and store your EXOGEN® and LOADS
- Place your exoskeleton in the mesh bag and place your loads inside your roll-up
- When ready to carry, simply place the mesh bag inside the roll-up, roll it up, secure the end-flaps, grab the strap and go!
HOW TO WASH & CARE FOR YOUR EXOGEN® AND LOADS
- EXOGEN® is an elastic-based product. To maintain elasticity;
- Hand or mild-machine wash in cold water with mild detergent
- Hang dry.
- Never use warm or hot water or warm-air tumble driers.
- Place EXOGEN® in the mesh bag for machine washing to avoid Velcro tangling with other clothes
- LOADS can be rinsed occasionally under cold running water and lay flat to dry or hung with the roll-up. Avoid exposure to heat or direct sunlight for long periods
- Depending on use, EXOGEN® does not have to be washed daily. Its environment-friendly anti-microbial treatment will protect it from smell for some time.
- We recommend a simple cold water rinse and hang dry after each use,
- Hand or machine-wash with soap 1-2 times/month. Heavy use may require more frequent washing.
- Remember, washing will wear the material and printing down over time.
HOW TO STORE YOUR EXOGEN® AND LOADS
- Like any elastic sports tool, it is best to hang your exoskeleton pieces when not in use for long periods.
- Additionally, we recommend that you do not store the exoskeleton pieces with the hook straps attached to the plush- material. Over time, this can reduce the attachment ability and break down the plush material.
- Instead, fold the hook tabs in to attach to itself before storing for travel or several days or longer.